This Chocolate Bark Recipe Starts With a Box of Crackers
Saltine crackers make the perfect base for this chocolate-toffee bark recipe.
40 saltines1 cup butter, cubed
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil.
- Arrange saltines in a single layer on foil; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over top.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Cool.Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen Tips
High humidity can cause sugary treats to become tacky. It's best to make candy on drier days.
Matzo crackers are a great substitute for saltines and perfect for Passover.
For deeper, more nuanced flavors (toasty and a tad bitter—those are good things!), substitute brown sugar for white, or brown your butter before adding sugar.