Butterscotch Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread cookies are a wonderful thing all on their own, but when you tuck some butterscotch chips and toffee bits into them it really ups the ante. These Butterscotch Shortbread Cookies still have that same buttery bite you know and love, but every bite also has a bit of caramelly butterscotch as well. Thanks to two kinds of butterscotch, there’s plenty of texture, so these cookies melt in your mouth but have a bit of crunch too.
You start by making the dough with the usual shortbread ingredients – butter, flour, sugar, and the like. But these also have two other components to help them out, toffee bits and butterscotch chips. They get stirred into the dough…
… before you roll it up, chill it, and slice it…… and place them on a tray to bake.
As they bake the butterscotch chips melt into specks of soft caramel flavor while the toffee bits retain a bit of crunch. The cookie that surrounds them is buttery and has that signature shortbread bite that melts in your mouth with a little bit of crumble. So delicious!
Butterscotch Shortbread Cookies 20 minutes
1 hour inactive to prepare
● 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
● 1/2 cup cornstarch
● 1/4 teaspoon salt
● 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
● 1/2 cup powdered sugar
● 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
● 1/2 cup butterscotch chips, finely chopped
● 1/2 cup toffee bits
1. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate, larger bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring to combine. Add butterscotch chips and toffee bits and stir.
5. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap onto a countertop or work surface. Place dough on top of plastic wrap and form into a log about 2.5 inches in diameter. Wrap and chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
6. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on edges, 10-12 minutes.
7. Let cool on sheet 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!